Friday, December 24, 2010

Survival Instincts


Recently, NPR broadcast a story about a Russian circus whose truck broke down as they traveled Siberia. Faced with brutal cold, the stars of the show did what any sensible mammal would do: they went into hibernation. I should probably mention that the stars of the show were four trained bears.

Now, I don't know about you, but if I were traveling across Siberia and my truck broke down, I'd be a bit freaked out. But of course my human instincts would kick in to save me, and I'd do something humans have been doing since the dawn of man: I'd post to Twitter. "Freezing to death! Nice knowing you!"

Having posted my final Tweet, perhaps more basic survival methods might come in to play. Scientifically speaking, I suppose I would experience the 'fight or flight' response to crisis- you know, that that marvelous surge of adrenaline that you feel just before you stain your shorts.

I have to say, I think I much prefer the bears' approach. Faced with mortal peril, they curled up and took a nap.

The only instinct that is stronger than survival is that of profit. Thus, feeling the 'show must go on' reflex, circus officials tried to wake the bears by the most brutal and aggressive means possible: they served them strong tea and chocolate.

Let us recap: Faced with crisis, key players responded by sleeping and their constituents showered them with sweets.

It's enough to make you want to join the circus. Or maybe Congress.
tlc