Thursday, January 6, 2011

Please Hold for Your 4G Network

A wireless giant that shall remain nameless (hint:  rhymes with 'Me Me & Me') is touting its new 4G network.  Message:  "Your smart phone is now super fast!  You can have whatever you want, whenever you want it!"

Unless, of course, what you want is customer service.

The company's fervor for instant connectivity surprisingly vanishes when you call the billing department.  It is only open from 7 to 9, central time. Ironically, a network that sends 4 gazillion gigabytes per second cannot connect me to a human in under 4 minutes.

This makes me bristle with impatience.  And this bristling is troubling.  Is instant customer service really that important?  It used to be that patience was a virtue.  Or a well-meaning Puritan. At any rate, patience was something to strive for.  It represented self-control and sense of place in the broader community.

Why should I be so upset at a little hold time?  Why not just relax and sing along to Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat?"  I am stuck in the patience paradox:  The more instant connectivity I have, the less patient I am to receive it.

I want my patience.  And I want it NOW.