Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What's For Dinner?


“Hey, mom! What’s for dinner?

This is, perhaps, the most annoying phrase in the English language.  That, and "Your business is important to us; please hold for a representative."

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been feeding my kids for over a decade now and I’m sick of it.  As my girlfriend recently said, “I'm so OVER dinner."

I suppose it’s not the cooking I hate so much as all that accompanies it.  By the time you factor in planning, shopping, cooking, cleaning, and the three-hour broccoli standoff ("You will not leave the table until you've eaten your vegetables!"), Rachel Ray's 15-minute meals morph into 50 hour marathons.  

Perhaps this is why I liked breast feeding so much.  At first, it seemed a sensible and cheap alternative to formula.  The physical and emotional bond was important too, as without it I might have sold that special someone who was demanding to eat every 90 minutes.

Upon reflection, however, I understand fully the true and deep psychological compunction to breast feed:  it avoids cooking.  Clearly this is some form of survival instinct.  I have an Aunt that is a huge proponent of breast feeding. She chaired her local La Leche chapter and nursed her five kids until they could drive.  I used to find this a bit odd, but now that I’ve been serving in the family canteen I totally get it.

When the kids were young, I could serve chips and salsa and pretend it was a meal.  But now that they are are older, they have discovered that other mommies serve elaborate dishes that are nutritionally balanced. And they serve them hot.  I am undone.

Since the children are too old to breastfeed, and too smart to know that Triscuits and Cheese Whiz do not constitute an acceptable meal, I find myself at a crossroads.  It is time to embrace my inner Julia Child and discover some sort of meaningful self-development through cuisine.

Or I could just call for a pizza.

tlc